top of page

Disabled Facilities Grant


Definition website
Department of Health and Social Care

You could get a grant from your council if you're disabled and need to make changes to your home. For example if you:

are physically disabled
have a learning disability
have age-related needs
are autistic
have a cognitive impairment, like dementia
have a progressive condition, like motor neurone disease
have a terminal illness
have a mental health condition
You might need to:

widen doors and install ramps or grab rails
improve access to rooms and facilities, for example with a stairlift, or level access shower
improve access to your garden
build an extension, for example a downstairs bedroom
provide a heating system suitable for your needs
adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
A Disabled Facilities Grant won't affect any benefits you get.

Plain English definition
Think Local Act Personal (TLAP) Jargon Buster
Think Local Act Personal

A grant you might be able to get from your local council in order to make changes to your home because you have a disability. Changes include things like widening doors, adding ramps or installing a downstairs bathroom. If the person with a disability is an adult, your household income and savings will be looked at, and you may need to pay towards the cost of the work. If the person is under 18, the family can get a grant without the parents' income being taken into account. If you want to apply for a DFG, you should contact your local council. This applies to England, Wales and Northern Ireland, but not Scotland.

Use instead of
Consider using instead
See also
Parent of
Child of
bottom of page