top of page

Adult Social Care Glossary, v 0.41

Property disregard

About            #   A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z            Browse by theme

Plain English definition
Think Local Act Personal (TLAP) Jargon Buster

When your home does not have to be sold to pay for residential care. This applies if you are in a care home for a short time, and expect to go back to your own home. It also applies if you have moved permanently into a care home, and the house you own is lived in by your partner, a relative who is over 60, or a child under the age of 16 who you are responsible for. There is also a 12-week property disregard, when the council will not charge you - based on the value of your home - for the first 12 weeks that you are in a care home. You would still have to make a contribution to the cost of the care home based on your income or available capital.

bottom of page